
An island resident is requesting a noise exemption from the Township of Douro-Dummer in order to host a charity concert on June 4.
The concert has taken place for the past six years, but hit some obstacles as neigbours complained about noise and safety associated with the event.
This event came to light at the April 7 regular council meeting when a delegation led by Dee Dee Eustace and Ian Beck appeared before council with their concerns.
Because the noise exemption was on the agenda for the May 19 regular council meeting ratepayers got the opportunity to speak on this matter for five minutes.
Both the event organizer Bruce Hodges and the complainant Dee Dee Eustace took this opportunity to explain their side of the story.
Hodges appeared first and he apologized to council and staff for the amount of time they spent on this matter and said he sincerely thanked them for their professionalism and time spent on the matter.
Hodges said that Ronald McDonald House also asked that he thank council and staff on their behalf.
Hodges said that the event has taken place for the last six years and the first five years were a one day event. The concert expanded last year on the Friday evening, but only hosted 130 people and raised extra money for the charity.
Hodges told council that due to the neighbours concerns they scaled the concert back to a single day.
Hodges said that last year’s event raised $100,000 with all profits being directed to Ronald McDonald House charities.
Hodges stressed that the event is not a large public festival, but rather a controlled charity fundraiser.
Hodges said they tried for a collaborative approach to address such issues as format change, however this did not satisfy the neighbours which in turn led to the April 7 delegation.
Dee Dee Eustace followed Hodges and started out by saying how she and her family are large philanthropists and support many charities including Ronald McDonald House.
Eustace went on to commend Bruce and Susan Hodges for their charity initiative and hope that in the future the event will be a public venue with thousands of people raising hundreds of thousands of dollars.
She believes the noise exemption should be declined because of the event location.
Eustace said she has sent noise mitigation plans along with some ideas on how the event might function.
Eustace said this is not about charity, but rather about being great neighbours.
Eustace stressed that there are better venues and she suggested to the organizers that Juniper Island, Crowes Landing or Wildfire Golf Club would be ideal alternatives.
Eustace concluded by saying that she is supportive of the charity, just not in this location.
The report was presented later in the meeting by clerk/deputy CAO Martina Chait-Hartwig and the report recommended that council approve the noise exemption request as it falls under Section 10 of By-law 2023-57 for an event to take place at 966 Dodworth Island, Stony Lake, on Saturday, July 4, 2026, and if approved that it be subject to the following conditions:
1. That the exemption apply only to Saturday, July 4, 2026.
2. That amplified music be permitted only between 12:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m., and amplified noise will cease no later then 8:00 p.m.
3. That all set-up and tear-down activities be conducted in a manner that minimizes disturbance to neighbouring properties.
4. That the applicant comply with the noise mitigation measures outlined in his application.
5. That Mr. Hodges, or a designate approved by the Township, remain available on site for the duration of the event.
6. That if approved, the Noise Exemption Permit be posted in a conspicuous place on the property.
7. That any breach of the permit conditions may render the exemption null and void in accordance with Section 10.9 of By-law 2023-57.
Councillor Shelagh Landsman moved that they follow the recommendation as conditions were described and the motion was seconded by Ray Johnston.
The motion carried
Deputy mayor Harold Nelson tabled a second motion which read as follows:
The regulations regarding amplified noise in bylaw 2023-57 be reviewed and that recommendations and options be brought back to council for review and discussion.
The motion was seconded by councillor Tom Watt and the motion carried.
Nelson said he wanted the bylaw reviewed because as it presently sits someone could be in contravention simply by playing a radio on their dock
Mayor Heather Watson pointed out that the last review was done in 2023 and the results may have been due to interest in short term rentals.
