← Go back
Former LDIS structure fire
photo by Beth Deveraux
On Monday evening, September 11, the Selwyn fire department and other emergency responders were called to the old Lakefield Intermediate School.
Fire broke out at the far end of the partially demolished building causing thick smoke to blanket the village.
Approximately fifty volunteer firefighters were on scene.
Selwyn Fire Chief Gord Jopling said that the probable cause of the fire was a discarded cigarette.
At the time of this writing the estimated cost of the damage had not been released and no injuries were reported.
Emergency crews were on scene at 7:15 p.m. and worked well into the night.